"Tax avoidance and evasion are unacceptable in the best of times but in today's circumstances it is morally indefensible."
"package of new measures to crackdown on tax avoidance and tax evasion".
"perfectly legal but morally questionable".
- a fivefold increase in the number of criminal prosecutions against tax evasion;
- a crackdown on offshore evasion with the creation of a dedicated team of investigators to catch those hiding money offshore;
- a much tougher stance on evasion and avoidance by those liable for the 50 per cent tax band;
- further investment in in-house collection capacity to increase HMRC’s internal debt collection rates; and
- more registration checks to stop people claiming tax repayments when they are not due.