Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Why I stopped blogging here

Well, it's now over 4 months since I last posted on this Tax-Buzz blog. And not one person has asked me why or seems to have missed it.  After over 400 posts over the previous 4 years. I think this evidences that much of what is said about blogging is bogus. I first shared my concerns on this topic back in 2008.

Don't get me wrong. I'm still an active blogger - especially for Ambitious Accountants where I share tips, insights and advice for a key target audience. I have posted almost 500 items there over the last few years and routinely adapt blog posts for inclusion in talks and longer articles.

But returning to this Tax-Buzz blog, the main purpose was to attract traffic and interest for the Tax Advice Network. Initially the blog was embedded in the site and then at the end of 2007 we moved to this blogspot platform as it is more Google friendly.

I also had an idea at the outset that the blog would evidence my stance as an independent tax commentator and explainer of complex tax issues. But for each year of blogging here I reckon I have had no more than two approaches by the media for interviews or comment. Not really worth the effort I think it's fair to say.

And my life has moved on. I remain Chairman of the Tax Advice Network and we publish a weekly practical tax tips newsletter written especially for accountants in general practice. Beyond this though my income generative writing, mentoring, facilitating and speaking gigs have no direct connection with tax commentary issues. When I reviewed how I was spending my time I realised that blogging here was taking too much time for no perceived benefit. So I stopped.

The writing was on the wall when I posted this piece last November: After 400 Tax-Buzz blog posts - what now?

I was recently advised to make it clear that the absence of any Tax-Buzz blog posts in 2012 was a conscious decision. Maybe I'll find an new angle that better resonates with my other activities. There's certainly no absence of tax stories these days to highlight, flag, explain or clarify. But for now I'll leave it to others.


7 comments:

  1. Couldn't agree more Mark - the whole social media thing has become an end in itself and has lost sight of whether is is actually useful.

    Marketeers used to say that only 50% of advertising worked - but nobody knew which 50%.

    I would say that only 0.005% of blogging is effective - but nobody cares.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheers @TaxTeddy

    I said as much when I wrote an earlier piece re the ubiquitous advice that accountants should start blogging in a post back in 2008.
    http://www.bookmarklee.co.uk/2008/10/20/blogging-myths-for-accountants/#

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for all your posts Mark. I for one have found them useful. I was in fact thinking of starting my own tax blog (not in competition to yours, I hasten to add). But I am not sure now.

    I am sorry you won't be blogging here any more, but I will be following you on the other blog you write.

    Satwaki Chanda

    ReplyDelete
  4. Business Set-up Person Reading InternetJune 21, 2012 at 10:15 PM

    I can see that you have 116,884 page views.
    Although you are quite right to spend time elsewhere, I would like to say thank you for your previous articles here and let you know you have been appreciated.

    Perhaps more of us should have replied and said thank you. For that I apologise.

    This remains a great resource for anyone googling you, to see that you are thorough, approachable and knowledgeable. Not a total waste of time and your clients will know you understand the internet.

    All the best!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Although I haven't been reading your posts for long, what I have read has been quite helpful and interesting. Thank you for what you provided, I will use as a reference in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I often think that the majority of blogs are simply written to feed Google's thirst for new and unique content and I'm not always convinced that such blogs add much for the reader. This is simply the world we live in.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hate to see this blog die. It has provided useful content over the past years. I know your primary purpose was to attract traffic to the Tax Advice Network, Mark, but at the same time it has provided useful information to your audience as well. So really it is a win-win situation.

    Been reading your Ambitious Accountants blog as well.

    ReplyDelete